[SLUG] Dual boot question

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 09:36:10 EDT

Hello everyone...

I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (circa 1996, P133, 32 MB RAM, 1.2 GB Hard Drive)
that I'm wanting to install Linux on. I'm mostly familiar with the install
process, but there are some peculiarities with the hardware that are throwing
me off: first, I've added a second IDE 2.1GB disk to the system (this is
where I want Linux to go), which I think is on the Secondary IDE controller
as a slave to the CDROM drive. (I assume that the CDROM is the master since
it's on the Secondary IDE Controller) Anyway, when I boot, I'm given a choice
that lasts about two seconds, to push "H" to boot into Win 95. It's only done
this since I added the second IDE disk.

The reason this is a problem is that I don't know why it's doing this. I
don't know where that instruction is coming from, whether it's the first
disk, or the one that I added. I need to know so that I can figure out how
the thing is going to boot when I do put Linux on it. I will want to go into
Win 95 on rare occasions, but Linux will be my first choice, of course.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Russell