Re: [SLUG] kernel in use

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 20:08:37 EDT

Russell Hires wrote:
> Meanwhile, I don't understand why there are so many crashes with any
> of these kernels...why isn't 2.4.xx stable?

I've been running RedHat/SGI 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 kernels with 0
crashes. I'd point your finger at the distro instead.

Linux just doesn't have the time to test his kernels on every
platform. That's where the distro comes in. Some distros release
often and include the latest, others release several revisions back
with months of run-time on them.

> I know about the high load issue, but that's all I've heard about it.
> 2.2.19 is very stable....

That's because it is 2 years old! Trust me, 2.2.x had issues well
into 2.2.teens. Depends on what you were using. kNFS sucked bad
until 2.2.18 (or RedHat 2.2.14).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413