Re: [SLUG] Converting mail

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 20:03:05 EDT

> Are you using IMAP? If so, there's no conversion necessary since all
> your mail should still be on your server. (Except I don't know if kmail
> fully supports IMAP yet. I shall refrain from my "Why do no email
> clients support IMAP? Do email client authors not use IMAP? Why not?
> Are they stupid?" rant... :)

Nope, no IMAP...but that was a fun little rant!

> If you're using POP, you should have an "mbox" file of all your mail
> lying around somewhere under ~/nsmail. All "mbox" means is "a big file
> where you have all your email messages in raw ASCII mail format,
> separated by a CR." You can "more" (or "less") the file to see if it
> looks like email, and if it does, there you have it. Copy it somewhere
> appropriate for kmail.
>
> If you're using POP and can't find your mail file, then you have other,
> more mysterious problems. :)

I did "less" the file, which looked fine, but then kmail couldn't read it.
Then I remembered something important: I'm on a Mac! So, there's Macintosh
style line break/carriage returns/whatever-they-are. I used BB Edit Lite to
convert from Mac style file to Unix, and voila!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Russell