Re: [SLUG] Small Victory

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 11:33:09 EDT

SOTL wrote:
> Congratulation, I know how you feel.
> I had the same problems with my nVidia card too.

I didn't. Mine worked off-the-bat, even in dual-headed mode. I've
_never_ gotten dual-head to work under Windows, and usually requires
me to hack the registry to "fix" the issue after I try enabling it.

> You may want to wait on Koffice until after it achieves stability and you can
> open and close MS files (where for historical reasons everything is stored).

KOffice is quite stable for me! I like desktop publishing (DTP)
applications and KWord is an excellent one! Now I have a "free
FrameMaker-like" application in KWord.

As far as MS Office compatibility, it's a joke even in Microsoft's
own products (e.g., Office for Mac, Works, etc...)! Why does
everyone continue to use their formats and consider them
"standard"???

When I need MS Word compatibility, AbiWord does quite well.
Gnumeric is also more Excel compatible than some versions of
Microsoft's own Excel (especially versus the Mac versions).

The StarOffice 6.0 beta is out and the best compatibility to date.
Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of StarWriter (because I don't like
Word Processors in general) or StarCalc (Gnumeric has always lead it
over the last few years), although StarImpress has always beaten
PowerPoint in features, hands down (at least since I started using
both in 1996). All I find StarWriter good for is HTML, and now that
has been further enhanced.

Plus the Sun-OpenOffice relationship is really taking a leadership
role in XML. Microsoft still refuses to publish its XSL and other
XML schemata, which basically makes MS Office's XML export a joke
from an "open" file format standpoint. Way to go Sun! You have
finally learned that GPL _does_ work!

> For you folks who disagree the fastest way to crash - defined as generating a
> core dump file - my computer is to open Kword. The second fasest way is
> Kspread. Both of these operations are guaranteed core dumps.

What versions are you using??? I use KWord 2.1.2 all the time! I'm
planning on trying out 2.2.x soon, although I'll probably just wait
on the RedHat 7.2 release to include them.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org