Re: [SLUG] mbr mistake

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 18:55:14 EDT

Russell Hires wrote:
> Right. I think I have the LILO thing down, a little, that's the inexperience
> I was talking about. At this point, I still don't know how Windows knows to
> boot from /dev/hda. I am aware that that I put the mbr into /dev/hda, not
> /dev/hdd.

BIOS -> MBR (first sector of HD) -> Bootstrap (first sector of
partition)

- The BIOS transfers control to the MBR
- The MBR tells it which partition to boot
- The Bootstrap is the actual OS booting

The Windows MBR simply says "boot whatever primary partition is set
'active' on the first hard drive." Most other OSes also require the
OS to be on the first hard drive.

LILO can install in the MBR and be a multi-OS boot loader, or it can
install as a Bootstrap-only loader for Linux.

3rd party boot managers, like XOSL, can install in the MBR and boot
any bootstrap. They can also perform 'activating' and/or hiding
inflexible OSes like Windows.

> And thus my question. ;-) I don't know enough about how Windows/Linux boots.
> I guess I need to configure the BIOS to look for /dev/hdd first to see where
> to boot from? Or from somewhere else?

Okay, what are your partitions, both Windows and Linux.

>From there, I'll give you a /etc/lilo.conf file. And from there,
you can boot your Linux floppy and install it.

> But at least I'll be back to asking intelligent questions, rather than trying
> to fix dumb mistakes.

Very true. You're not getting frustrated and blaming Linux. You're
okay in my book. ;-PPP

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413