Re: [SLUG] another one bites the dust

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 18:22:34 EDT

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 02:11:54AM -0400, A2L1 wrote:

> Im kinda glad I settled on SuSe now----storm and now progeny and I thought
> both were more than just decent----is it just that people wont buy them just
> cause they can download them? I think we are going to have to better support
> these companies by buying the product if we download it and like it---and I
> just gave all my other/old distros to the Salvation Army guess I should have
> kept them as souveniers.

Progeny was trying to break into a crowded and small market (how much
shelf space does Linux take up at CompUSA). They had hoped they'd get a
second round of financing, and didn't (if for no other reason but this
is a tough commercial climate). And it takes years to get to
profitability, especially in the Linux market.

That's why I use Debian. ;-}

Paul