[SLUG] Re: Debian Kernel - Dumping Progeny for Woody?

From: Doc - KD4E (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 23:58:56 EDT

> ... I would install Woody, or upgrade to it (or to unstable).

I am willing to do this. I'd really like to wipe everything out and start
with a completely fresh install.

Since Progeny is gone I might as well work from a pure Debian
install and just stay there, no Libranet or other intermediary.

> If you want some preliminary Woody CDs, try here.
>
> http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/debian-cd/unofficial/woody
> You should only need the first one to install the system.

Hey! I looked in "woody-i386-1.raw.list" and ALSA is in there! Cool!

I am currently at 2.2.19, I think. At least I tried to do an upgrade.

I don't have a cd-burner so the raw file isn't useful here. :-(

I started to search around for info re. installing Woody, I came upon
http://www.gpul.org/ftp/os/linux/cd-images/debian/woody/
and it contained "PLEASE_USE_RSYNC"

rsync sounds neat? Have you tried it?

> If you have a fast network connection, you could also try to install
mainly by
> network
>
> http://www.digitaltux.com/
> scott

I looked at the digitaltux site, interesting but a little confusing. Do I
understand
correctly that I need to download three files to separate floppies before I
can
do the install?

Then he writes "you can also get my base2_2.tgz". Does that replace the
floppies or is it a stripped-down version of Woody? He is imprecise.

Also, he speaks of LILO versus GRUB. I have been encouraged to stuff
Win98se on the 1g of my laptop's 6g hdd that Progeny didn't format for
some reason. That way if I just-in-case-gotta-run-some-M$-junk-in-an-
emergency, I can ... then delete it quickly! :-)

So, should I prefer LILO or GRUB alongside Woody? (Note: I think
I will be wanting to use KDE versus Gnome, is that a complication at all?)

What does the "&&" in 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' refer to, please?
Submit the first command and when completed submit the second?

What's your view of the reiserfs version? I heard it mentioned at the SLUG
meeting in NPR a couple of sessions ago but missed the heart of the issue.

Well, it is late. Sure appreciate your help. Will look for your reply
tomorrow.

Yaawn ... Doc