Re: [SLUG] Debian Kernel - Booting Wrong Version

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 00:37:00 EDT

I have to admit that I have always downoaded the kernel source and compiled
myslef, but the debian kernel package is a good way to go about it if you want
to have it somewhat automated. You'll still have to do the make xconfig
yourself, though, and you'll have to upgrade at least some packages to the
testing branch (Woody) of Debian if you want to use a 2.4.x kernel with the
kernel-package system. If you change your apt sources to testing and apt-get a
2.4.x kernel package, it should grab just the packages you need to upgrade,
which may only be a few of them (but then again it may be many MB of stuff)

For directions on making a kernel from your source package, look at the debian
readme in /usr/doc/kernel-source-xxxx with zless, mc, or something else that
will let you see a compressed text file.

I wouldn't worry about 2.4.x kernels being unstable. I use 2.4.10 at the
office and I've never seen any trouble, and I think they are at 2.4.12 right
now. On this machine I'm using the stock kernel as I've been too lazy to grab
one and compile it, but I did have to use the isapnp tools since I'm not using
a 2.4 kernel. 2.4.x is much better at getting your hardware set up for you,
especially pnp devices (like your sound card, perhaps?)

Another option you may want to look into is Libranet, which is debian based and
now offers their ISO image for download. I think the latest version uses
kernel 2.4.3 or something like that http://www.libranet.com/download.html. I
think they also offer a reiser fs install, which would be good for a notebook
system.

What I would do if I had your notebook is either install the current stable
Debian and then upgrade the kernel to 2.4.x (I think you have to upgrade
modutils and a couple other packages - the kernel docs will tell you which ones
you need), or else I would install Woody, or upgrade to it (or to unstable).

If you have too much trouble, Suse probably will catch all the hardware for you
on the installation, but I may be wrong with that guess.

If you want some preliminary Woody CDs, try here.

http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/debian-cd/unofficial/woody

You should only need the first one to install the system.

If you have a fast network connection, you could also try to install mainly by
network

http://www.digitaltux.com/

    scott