Re: [SLUG] Debian Kernel - Booting Wrong Version

From: Doc - KD4E (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 20:56:51 EDT

> Based on your post, you installed the kernel source. You'll have to
compile the
> kernel or install a kernel binary package if you don't want to compile
one.
> scott

Scott:

I found this at http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=164

Does it all look good to you? Somehow I need to clean up the mess and
get something Debian running that works and forces sound (HP OmniBook
4100) and PCMCIA to play nice. :-)

I read in some places that 2.2.19 is the most recent one should trust unless
one does not mind instability, elsewhere 2.4 is recommended as best since
the drivers are more comprehensive.

Your thoughts, please?

Doc

You can install kernel-package by apt-get install kernel-package, if you do
not already have it.

Although the main use is for multiple boxes i use it when compiling kernels
for just my own
machine as I consider it safer and easier.

First clean the source tree with make clean then create your kernel
configuration as usual with
make config, make menuconfig or make xconfig.

You are now ready to create your kernel package, in the root of your source
tree execute the
command make-kpkg kernel_image.

The compilation process will then be executed automagically for you, so go
away and have a
cup of coffee or a beer.

Providing the compilation was successful (you should be worried if it is
not), a .deb package of
your custom kernel will be in the /usr/src/ directory. Install this with
dpkg -i kernel-package-filename.

Follow the instructions and away you go, (make sure you edit lilo.conf
manually though & rerun lilo).

Kernel-package has many more broader uses than are covered in this howto,
the purpose of this
document is to give you a quickstart guide to make-kpkg and to increase its
awareness.

If you are more interested please read the README file in
/usr/doc/kernel-package.

Update: you should put the package on hold after installing it, so that the
package from the repository
wont overwrite it.. or you should use flavours -- ressu

Rob