Re: [SLUG] Can't install upgrade Perl on Sparc

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 12:27:30 EDT

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:25:55AM +0500, Scientisto Conquistadorio Mario wrote:

> I have a SPARCstation 5 w/256MB RAM.
>
> The newer version of 'alien' requires me to have a later version of Perl,but
> I'm getting this:
>
> # dpkg -i perl_5.6.1-5_sparc.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package perl.
> dpkg: considering removing perl-5.005 in favour of perl ...
> dpkg: no, cannot remove perl-5.005 (--auto-deconfigure will help):
> debconf depends on perl-5.005
> perl-5.005 is to be removed.
> dpkg: regarding perl_5.6.1-5_sparc.deb containing perl:
> perl conflicts with perl-5.005 (<< 6)
> perl-5.005 (version 5.005.03-7.1) is installed.
> dpkg: error processing perl_5.6.1-5_sparc.deb (--install):
> conflicting packages - not installing perl
> perl_5.6.1-5_sparc.deb
> #

I hate to answer the question this way, but I've heard of problems with
dpkg for a long time, which are solved by running dselect. When
selecting a package with dselect, dependencies are flagged and resolved,
and the proper packages are installed, removed and configured. Dpkg is a
good program, but it is not designed to interactively resolve problems.
Dselect is; you select and resolve dependencies interactively, and only
then are packages installed or removed.

Of course, YMMV. I'm not an expert on the subject; I just run Debian.

Paul