[SLUG] Burning CD: e-Smith: Update -2

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 17:38:56 EDT

Messing around last night I decided to check how long it would take to
download e-Smith 5.0.0 over a dial-up connection. Hum 8 hours. Set it up and
went to bead. Actual time was 13 Hours. Observed that down load speed
significantly drooped after 8:00 PM.

Which leads to the first question. Going North to South - Canada to US what
has been the group's experience as to which days of the week and which hours
in general give the quickest down loads.

Second going from East to West - Europe to Florida what is the collective
experience of the best times to download?

Given the choice of a site in the North East - Eastern Time Zone and one in
Europe all things being equal which would give the better speeds.

I know that each site is different and each down load is different. What I am
asking is your expectations given only the above facts about an unknown site.

After down loading and checking that md5sum gave the correct values I then
proceded to burn 3 CD without stopping. I figured I would make a couple of
spare for people who may want them.

Well from 3 burned CD I got 1 good CD. Somehow this reminds me of floppies
before they were factory formated. You could format a floppy on one machine
and read it perfectly on that machine but damn if you could read it on one or
two machines that worked perfectly. Different drives would not read other
drives formating.

Well anyway the one CD that my reader would read was a Sony. The 2 that it
failed to read were cheap ones a HiVal and a Compusa. This leads to Frank's
rule number 5 for burning CDs. Don't buy cheap CD; they may not work.

Oh in case you have forgotten Rule #4 contributed by one of the Sluggers was
turn off the Screen Saver the interupts have a nasty habit of interfering
with the burner software.

Thanks
Frank