Re: [SLUG] Burning CD: e-Smith: Update -2

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 04:02:32 EDT

--- SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> what
> has been the group's experience as to which days of the week and
> which hours
> in general give the quickest down loads.

The reason everything slowed down at 8:00 AM was not solely because
everyone in EST was out of bed, but because EVERYONE in the USA was up.
 The way the time zones work, we in the Eastern Standard Time-zone are
the LAST ones to go to bed (in the USA). Since most of the servers
that you'll be using and the users with whom you'll be competing are in
the US, the rest of the world doesn't have nearly as big of an impact
on your downloads. The best time to use most US servers is
late-night-early-morning EST.

I would advise a general avoidance of overseas servers because of the
time-zone properties outlined above, the sheer distance... and I
*speculate* that there is a communications bottleneck overseas.

=====
Justin Keyes, m9u35@yahoo.com
                . .
                 \ /