Re: [SLUG] Trying to install AAARGH!

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 23:00:22 EDT

On Saturday 20 October 2001 21:20, you wrote:
> Hello fun seekers:
> As must of you know at the Brandon SLUG meeting I'm the idiot that has
> never been able to install Linux on THREE DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. THREE
> DIFFERENT DISTRIBUTIONS

Nope ... wrong idiot. I'm looking for the guy who wiped prussian blue on
the rim of my water glass. :-)

I'm not certain, but I think you have just set three new SLUG records. If
not, you are certainly in contention for the title. :-)
Record #1
        The most distributions attempted without success.
Record #2
        The most platforms attempted without success.
Record #3
        The most determination in the face of abject failure.

Are any of these HP Vectras, Packard Bells or the like with a funky,
egotistical, bios? If so, 1) they don't count 2) find someone who is
moving out of state and make them a good deal on a used computer. Although
it can be done, they tend to be a bit more aggravation to set up than most.

I noticed that you booted to a Win disk and then fdisked. Did you (A) then
boot from the Corel / Suse 7.0 / 7.2 disks or did you (B) keep running on
the Win boot? The correct answer is (A).

BTW ... there is no need to fdisk from DOS. None. Linux installers can
handle all of that stuff just fine on their own. In fact, there is no need
to boot from DOS / Win / XP / CE / ME / NT or W2K. They will all cause a
reduction in your sex drive and quite possibly render you both sterile and
unable to quote poetry.

1) I have a network install diskette for Mandrake 8.0 that I got from the
Mandrake web site. You might want to try that. Get your own diskette;
they're cheap. Follow the instructions for making the diskette to the
letter. The diskette is bootable and contains ftp client software fueled
by a nifty script. Probably in PERL, probably only three lines. :-)

2) Do not boot with anything from Microsoft. It is all evil and linked to
low reproductive rates.

3) Set the bios to boot from either the floppy or the CD but skip the hard
drive altogether. At least until Linux has had a chance to disinfect it.

4) Keep trying; If the machine can run Code Red err ... Nimda errr ...
Windows, it can run Linux.

And run it better.

:-)

(Name withheld by request)

--
icq # 126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com

"Thou shalt not murder" is not negotiable.