Re: [SLUG] Burning CD: e-Smith: Update -2

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 08:30:52 EDT

On Sunday 21 October 2001 04:02 am, Justin Keyes wrote:
> --- SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > what
> > has been the group's experience as to which days of the week and
> > which hours
> > in general give the quickest down loads.
>
> The reason everything slowed down at 8:00 AM was not solely because
> everyone in EST was out of bed, but because EVERYONE in the USA was up.
> The way the time zones work, we in the Eastern Standard Time-zone are
> the LAST ones to go to bed (in the USA). Since most of the servers
> that you'll be using and the users with whom you'll be competing are in
> the US, the rest of the world doesn't have nearly as big of an impact
> on your downloads. The best time to use most US servers is
> late-night-early-morning EST.
>
> I would advise a general avoidance of overseas servers because of the
> time-zone properties outlined above, the sheer distance... and I
> *speculate* that there is a communications bottleneck overseas.

Sorry either I posted the time incorrectly or something. The net did not slow
down at 8:00 AM in the morning. The net slowed down at 8:00 PM on a Friday
night. The transfer rate went from 7.6 kbytes/sec to 3.5 kbytes/second at
approximately 8 PM. It reached a low of 2.5 kbytes/sec about 10 PM. This is
behavior that I have observed this on more than one occasion. The only reason
I can think of for this kind of response is that a number of big machines are
doing massive transfers after normal business hours in the US.

What I am trying to ascertain is this the collective response of people in
the group who do gigabyte transfers on a daily bases.

Thanks
Frank