Re: [SLUG] Trying to install AAARGH!

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 18:35:56 EDT

--- ramiro souto <rsouto@juno.com> wrote:
> Hello fun seekers:
> As must of you know at the Brandon SLUG meeting I'm
> the idiot that has
> never been able to install Linux on THREE DIFFERENT
> COMPUTERS. THREE
> DIFFERENT DISTRIBUTIONS
> OK, so I inherited a Windblows 95 box Pentium 133,
> old and nice.
> booted to a W98 diskette, performed
> fdisk c:
> OK
> I have tried to install:
> Corel = NO GO
> Details:
> INSTALLING COREL LINUX
> * computer freezes and goes on and on (over 1 hour)
> no HD action, no CD action
>
> SUSE 7.0 = NO GO
> Get a bunch of scripts then after a line of numbers
> computer freezes and goes on and on (over 15
> minutes)
>
> SUSE 7.2 running from the CD = NO GO
>
> Then I tried:
> fdisk \mbr
> OK
> Tried to install Corel, the first time I got the
> following message:
> error 8x10
> Power off, power on
> I get to the same screen as before the fdisk \mbr
> action:
> INSTALLING COREL LINUX
> *
>
> Now I know I have a magnetic personality however
> this is not acceptable.
>
> Any help will help.
> PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
> TIA
> Ramiro

This is probably a long shot here, but:

a) have you tried any of the "run from floppy"
versions of Linux? (*he he he* DOS/Linux...)

b) if you can get Win9x installed on that system, have
you thought about trying to use either QNX or
PhatLinux (I think that's what it's called). Maybe
that can also give you an indication of the problem.

c) You ever thought about a new system?

d) what is the problem with the SuSE CD?

Norb

=====
~ Good evening, Mr. Gates
    . . I'll be your server this evening.