Re: [SLUG] HD problem

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 20:32:55 EDT

Rusty wrote:
> When I try to load a copy of SuSE 7.2 I get an error saying can't
> locate DME.

??? You mean DMA ??? Something to do with IRQs?
I assume this mainboard is a ViA chipset (couldn't find it on the
Biostar site).

What brand is your hard drive, Western Digital?
Also what kernel?

You can disable DMA with "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda". I'd look into
upgrading to kernel 2.4, or using 2.2 with Hendrick's IDE backport.

> Is there something about athlons and hard drives of which I'm not
> aware? I know this is ridiculous but it ain't funny.

Not the Athlon, the ATA controller and ATA drive logic. The CPU has
nothing to do with it.

> DiamondMax® Plus 6800 Ultra DMA 66 7,200 RPM:

Oh yeah, I've had _big_time_problems_ with ViA chipsets and
6800-series Maxtors. I finally put mine on a 3Ware controller
instead.

Too many vendors don't implement the full ATA spec. Maxtor is
usually pretty good, but that 6800 series gave me fits on ViA
chipsets.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413