Re: [SLUG] user rights in Linux

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 18:11:13 EDT

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Patrick Grantham wrote:

> This topic is about the best way to control access. I only want a
> user to only have ftp (not telnet) access to there own home directory.
> How would one approach this?

Usually, the easiest way to go about this is to set the user's login shell
to /bin/false. (That's the traditional way.) When they log in they will
start up the shell (/bin/false, in this case) and get booted right back
out of the system.

During an FTP session the user never invokes an interactive shell so they
can go about FTPing stuff all they want.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com