Re: [SLUG] Microsoft License agreement and BeOS

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 22:58:13 EDT

The article about Microsoft's licence prohibiting OEMs from shipping Windows
on dual-boot machines is chilling, and the DOJ really dropped the ball on
this issue in their antitrust case. What MS did to torpedo BeOS was mighty
underhanded.

While SLUG has a standing invitation for folks to bring their hardware to
meetings, has anybody considered offering to install Linux on new systems? Or
advertising this kind of service through local retailers? I don't know if
retailers in the area would entertain doing this as a value-added service or
allowing a third party contractor to do this, but it is a way around the
MS-Windows OEM license. Part of me finds it hard to imagine the likes of
CompUSA or Best Buy offering this kind of service, although the major Linux
distributers (Red Hat, Mandrake, etc) would likely support it: "Buy Brand X
Linux with your new computer and we'll install it for you."

Part of me just wants to spit in Microsoft's eye. If people had a real choice
instead of a monopoly, there'd be fewer Windows boxes out there.