Re: [SLUG] Net Hardware questions

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 23:55:01 EDT

> > > Your network settings will be in /etc/network/interfaces
> >
> > This is the part that confuses me. I don't see "eth0" in there anywhere.
> > Where else could it come from? And how does the OS know to call the
> > second ethernet card "eth1"?

I think I figured this part out. I haven't yet had a machine with a direct
connection to the internet that I've been able to install Debian on. I've had
to use PPPoE. This means that Debian didn't set up the typical stuff you'd
see for a direct connection to anything. But then I remembered that I do have
one at the school where I volunteer, and I stole the settings file and am
going to use it as a template. I'm surprised that Debian doesn't have a
Template in /etc/network/interfaces for a direct connection to the internet.

> As far as I know, when the module is loaded it looks for the hardware and
> if it finds something, that is eth0, the next one found would be eth1, etc.

Therefore, if there is no module, then there is no eth0, or eth1, etc...Right?

Thanks again to all (and Scott Piper! :-)

Russell