Re: [SLUG] First of a Dozen Questions - Follow-up

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 14:06:19 EDT

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 08:43 am, some of the Slugers wrote:
> Gotta second this advice. When I do a Debian install, there's also the
> option for using UTC or local time. I usually make the wrong choice,
> though, and my clock is 4-5 hours behind.

Russell & Mike M.
And all others kind enough to respond with suggestions.

You both may be right as far as the UTC and local time issue is concerned.
I could understand that. On the first reboot after resetting the time in the
bios, it sets the SYSTEM clock back the 4 hours. hwclock may show a
completely different and irrational time from that of real time or that
depicted on the system. I don't know how that is possible because I believed
the system clock was set by hwclock. Then, on subsequent reboots, the time
that shows in hwclock is added or subtracted to the -4 hours that was
originally displayed on the system clock. ( See my logs) And, it may be
different (in real time passage) from the time previously displayed. It
really looks like some kind of random thing with time displayed and set by
hwclock.

Busy reading everything I can find about hwclock.

Bob S.