Re: [SLUG] Flushing cache

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 21:49:57 EDT

What works for me is to nudge the system into reading the directory again.
The simplest method I can think of is the the Floppy icon on my KDE desktop
(points to /auto/floppy). Closing and opening it will force the system to
re-read the directory.

I can also get it to re-read the floppy's directory by typing in
"/auto/floppy" in the Location line in the Konqueror browser. If your mount
point is /mnt/floppy, I imagine that will also work. When I manually direct
an application like WordPerfect to look at "/mnt/floppy" or "/auto/floppy"
(whichever mount point I'm using at the time) by typing in the path name
(rather than just point and click on the GUI), the system reads the
directory. The only time that hasn't worked is when the drive is empty, then
I have a different problem.

I'm running Caldera eDesktop 2.4, and I don't know if these tricks work for
all distributions. I imagine it should work with Red Hat because the two seem
to be very similar.