Re: [SLUG] What should be on Linux.com?

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 02:00:21 EST

On Sunday 28 October 2001 00:44, you wrote:
> I think I do. More information in general; news, reviews, docs for all
> user levels, links to every Linux or Open Source resource in the known
> world, and a truly comprehensive LUG list, and I mean one that includes
> every active LUG there is -- except for that bunch of loonies in and
> around Tampa, of course. :)
>
> - Robin

Make those LIVE links and you're on! This means proactively visiting the
links and editing like mad when a problem is encountered. Better for a
link not to appear at all than to lead to a 404.

And don't forget to link to ancillary sites such as (reviewed & critiqued)
tutorials on networking and programming. In fact, let us vote on the
tutorials as to which are genuinely useful and which are genuinely vapor
wash for skunks and also suggest alternative sites to link to. In other
words, let your users do part of the work of digging useful stuff out of
the cloud.

You mentioned "docs for all user levels". Please have a committee
proofread them. The proofreaders should know what a dangling modifier is
without looking it up. TEST the docs ... have somebody's Mommy try them
out to see if a tyro can follow the cookbook instructions and actually
come out with their "whatziz" working. Walk the instructions through with
one person reading aloud and the other taking only the steps read aloud.
See if ya end up where you meant to. Too many of the "How-To's" are
actually "How-NOT-To" and provide a VLE* instead of useable results.

While you are at it, look into mirroring the LUG archives into one big
searchable techie database with a search engine, etc.

Possibly you could score some swag somewhere (an IBM S-390 would be cool,
so would a dual processor Athlon mobo with the ram & CPU's maxed out) and
have your visitors spending a month guessing how many Penguin mints in a 5
gallon pail.

One suggestion for a series might be to interview reps from corporations
that migrated to Linux recently as to their experience with that project.
Their motivations, their positive expectations, their negative fears,
problems encountered and answers found ... the sort of thing that would
help another CTO make the same decision in the near future.

Another article (mini series) might focus females using Linux and have
them explain in their own words how they feel about that experience.

Still another could be about using Linux in a family with young children,
and teens.

There are probably thousands of things you could do to revamp your site to
make it more widely used. I'm looking forward to see which ideas you like
and the order they are implemented in.

Bill

--
* Valuable Learning Experience

icq #126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.12 #2 Wed Oct 17 04:17:02 EDT 2001 i686 unknown total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 1545512 785464 760048 0 303628 546780 Swap: 401584 0 401584 1:18am up 1 day, 23:08, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00