Re: [SLUG] What should be on Linux.com?

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 19:20:34 EST

On Sunday 28 October 2001 06:53, you wrote:

> > Still another could be about using Linux in a family with young
> > children, and teens.
>
> "Family Linux" would make a cool article, yes. Perhaps more than one.
> The picture of Mom, Dad, little Joey in his Little League uniform, and
> Angela just home from her Girl Scouts meeting, along with their pet
> Penguin, all clustered around the family monitor screen, is to precious
> not to run. Perhaps it should be a comic strip, later a Disney Channel
> cartoon series.
>
> Seriously, this would make an interesting article or HOWTO or something,
> and it's the kind we would write or have written ourselves, because I
> doubt that it exists elsewhere.

Okay ... just remember that, at this point in history, Joey and Angela
play for the same little league team. :-)

Actually ... the idea of a comic strip illustrating the family doing
common computer activities ... using a search engine, formatting a
diskette etc could be used as something of a "camp" tutorial and run
indefinitely.

I think you were joking when you suggested it ... but it sounds like a
good teaching format. Mom could create html and php for her gardening club
newsletter, Joey could touch up the photos for it using GIMP, Dad could
install X-10 stuff to automate the house / garage and Angela could keep
track of the Little League stats on a web-accessible database. Everytime a
question came up, another member of the family walking by would either
offer the answer or at least know what man page to use. Three to five
panels would be enough to solve common small problems.

Use a 1950's "Leave it to Beaver" sort of style. Name the family "the
Cluebies". Have some fun with it. :-)

Get stinkin' filthy rich and forget to send me so much as a pizza coupon.
:-)

Bill

--
icq #126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.12 #2 Wed Oct 17 04:17:02 EDT 2001 i686 unknown