Re: [SLUG] hardware problem....perhaps very simple?

From: Bpreece (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 14:14:40 EST

Ok here you go for the fun

I know you said you did some of this but it wont hurt to re do this.

Boot with the Startup Disk choose no cdrom support
1. Refdisk the harddrive and if it is over 2 gig use fat32 so you would
choose yes for that option.
2. After this Choose option 1 create primary partition.
3. Choose use total space for this.
4. Reboot the machine and at the a:\ prompt choose fdisk/mbr this will
ensure a clean partition.

Reboot with the Startup disk and choose the with cdrom support.
5. Format /s /u the drive
6. After this is done you will need to create a directory called cdrom md
c:\cdrom
7. copy from the floppy disk himem.sys and mscdex.exe as well as the either
a file called nec_ide.sys
or oakide.sys to the cd rom directory.
8. Next you will need to copy the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to the
c:\
9. check on the floppy disk and see if you have a edit.com file if not you
will have to copy one to your floppy.
10 Edit the the autoexec.bat and config.sys sp you should only have
following

Autoexec.bat
@echo off
cls
LH c:\cdrom\MSCDEX.EXE /D:oemcd001 /L:D

then save this

Config.sys
device=c:\cdrom\himem.sys /testmem:off
devicehigh=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /D:oemcd001 If nec_ide.sys is on
your floppy change the Oakcdrom.sys name to match.

then save this file.

Note if you do not have himem.sys loaded Windows 98 or 98 se will not load
it will lock up.

Now then type the following at your c:\ prompt

11. Md c:\windows
12 md c:\windows\options
13. md c:\windows\options\cabs
14 now type d:\ enter
15 cd win98
16. copy . c:\windows\options\cabs do not leave out the period.
 This will copy all setup files to the directory on the hard drive of
install

17. now run setup.
 you should be up and going with the install.

again WIndows will no install without himem.sys loaded.

Also the way I showed you to do this will not require the cd after you
install windows to reinstall or to insert for updating software and drivers
you will then only need your device drivers for you sound card , video etc
after that.

The Nec_ide.sys or oakcdrom.sys dos cdrom drivers work with 98% of all ide
cdrom and cdr's and cdrws.

If you need any firther help call me 623-26-96 or 621- 5547

Good Luck
Bill Preece