[SLUG] hardware problem....perhaps very simple?

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 13:01:04 EST

Hi folks.
My friend gotta hardware problem, I told him I'd run it by SLUG.
Here's the story:
He tried to re-format his HDD and do a re-install of (gak) Windows--but
he never got that far. After he reformatted his harddrive, he couldn't
move from there. All the king's men couldn't fix it for him. I found
out that they weren't Putting the /s switch after the

format

command, so the system couldn't boot from the drive. Anyways I got it
to boot from the drive but now his CD-RW is returning a stupid error.
I definitely did the correct procedure installing the drivers and
getting mscdex to run and making sure autoexec.bat and config.sys have
the correct entries in them. SO, I try to access the CD-RW, like doing
a "dir" command. Once or twice, it actually returned the directory
contents. And sometimes it would *start* to begin the winblows setup
program: the two times it did that, it halted at the "checking system"
message or whatever right BEFORE it went into scan disk (or maybe it
was after?). After that, it won't even let me run "dir" on the CD
drive, saying "cannot read device." And the problem ISN'T that the CD
disc is screwed up, because I tried my own (not used anymore, mind you)
Windows 98 cd.
note #1 using the win98 bootup disk to run things like edit, format /s,
and whatever else needed.
note #2: I have repeated the above procedure at least twice, by
reformatting the drive again & again, and then installing the drivers,
blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for your time.

-justin Keyes

=====