[SLUG] Third of a dozen questions

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 23:07:43 EST

Hi Suggers,

OK, Here you go. Should be simple but is not.

Have my usb Olympic camera set up to review/download fotos fo my
system from the camera. Have it set to /mnt/usbhd.

Works fine ....as root.....When I try to mount the camera as a user,
I get the following messsage. "Only root can mount dev/sda1 on
/mnt/usbhd" Yeah, I know I can open a terminal, su, and mount the
usbhd (the camera) and go on from there. Shouldn't have to do that
though.

When I sent a message about my Olympus camera Scot Piper wrote.
 "Having to be root is probably just a permissions problem with the
 directory where your usb stuff goes.  Just chmod a+w directory  and
 you (and every other user) will be able to access it"

Now, I have changed permissions on every device associated with the
camera. sda1 shows owner as Bob (that's me) and the group as users.
Why ???? can only root mount a device that is owned by me??

Here is the line from my fstab which pertains to the camera, which by
the way has been changed a dozen times in an attempt to make this
work. Don't even know why some of the entries are in there. Advice
from others trying to help out.

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd auto
noauto,usr,rw,uid=500,gid=100,umask=002,suid 0 0

Additionally, but not a big deal, you must mount the usb-storage
module for the cameera to work. I put a line in rc.d local to mount
it but if the camera is not on when I boot I a get a long list of
complaints at boot time. Is there a better way to do this?

Hope one of you sluggers can help me make this work properly.

Bob S.

PS xoming soon, a more complicated issue, scanner recognition !!