Re: [SLUG] Third of a dozen questions

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 22:39:27 EST

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 06:25 am, you wrote:
> change usr to user and add mode=0777
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd auto
> noauto,user,rw,uid=500,gid=100,mode=0777,umask=002,suid 0 0
>
> On Monday 29 October 2001 11:07 pm, you wrote:
> > Hi Sluggers,
> >
> > OK, Here you go. Should be simple but is not.
> >
> > Have my usb Olympic camera set up to review/download fotos fo my
> > system from the camera. Have it set to /mnt/usbhd.
> >
> > Works fine ....as root.....When I try to mount the camera as a
> > user, I get the following messsage. "Only root can mount dev/sda1
> > on /mnt/usbhd" Yeah, I know I can open a terminal, su, and mount
> > the usbhd (the camera) and go on from there. Shouldn't have to
> > do that though.
> >
> > When I sent a message about my Olympus camera Scot Piper wrote.
> > "Having to be root is probably just a permissions problem with
> > the directory where your usb stuff goes.  Just chmod a+w
> > directory  and you (and every other user) will be able to access
> > it"
> >
> > Now, I have changed permissions on every device associated with
> > the camera. sda1 shows owner as Bob (that's me) and the group as
> > users. Why ???? can only root mount a device that is owned by
> > me??
> >
> > Here is the line from my fstab which pertains to the camera,
> > which by the way has been changed a dozen times in an attempt to
> > make this work. Don't even know why some of the entries are in
> > there. Advice from others trying to help out.
> >
> > /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd auto
> > noauto,usr,rw,uid=500,gid=100,umask=002,suid 0 0
> >
> > Additionally, but not a big deal, you must mount the usb-storage
> > module for the cameera to work. I put a line in rc.d local to
> > mount it but if the camera is not on when I boot I a get a long
> > list of complaints at boot time. Is there a better way to do
> > this?
> >
> > Hope one of you sluggers can help me make this work properly.
> >
> > Bob S.
> >
> > PS coming soon, a more complicated issue, scanner recognition !!

Andrew & Scott,

Sharp eyes !! Now how did I miss that. Followed your suggestions and
made changes. No joy.......Same problem.....Continur to get the
error message, "Only root can mount /dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbhd"

Every file associated with the camera is owned by "Bob" with "users"
as the group. That includes sda1, usbhd, dcim, and olympus.

Root will not relinquish control of sda1. Any other ideas guys ?

Bob S.