[SLUG] Linux File Server and Back-Up Solution

From: Jeff Barriault (jeffbarr@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 19:16:27 EST

Greetings All,

I have a client who has a network setup using an old Novell NetWare 3.2
server and Segate Backup Exec. Their clients are a mix of Windows 3.11/95/98
systems. They are reluctant to upgrade this old and dying unit to an NT
solution because of the costs involved and the uncertanty of it working. I'm
certain that for around $300 in hardware, and some "free" Linux based
software, I could get them an excellent alternative. I only have 3
questions:

1) Is Samba good enough to set up as a Primary Domain Controller and file
server?

2) What is the best automated back-up software to use? Note I need to backup
stuf on the server as well as the clients.

3) What else would help make this a really sweet package?

I'm looking forward to all of your comments.

Thanks a bunch,

JB