Re: [SLUG] Linux File Server and Back-Up Solution

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 19:31:20 EST

----Original Message Follows----

1) Is Samba good enough to set up as a Primary Domain Controller and file
server?

I know that I am going to catch a lot of flak for this. But these are
legitimate questions that you should address first.

1. Why do you need a PDC? Are you going to be maintaining machine
accounts? What client OS' are running? 9x, ME, 2000, XP? How many clients
are there? Answering this first tells you whether you need a PDC at all.

2. <Cue Jaws Theme>What is the complexity of the organization? If this is
a small office where everyone shares the same files then yes, Samba is a
great alternative. If this is a large organization, where file security
needs to be a little stronger than probably not.

For those of you who wish to lecture me on file permissions in Linux save
it. I have heard it before and sometimes samba is not the best solution.

Here is an example. Suppose you have an A/P department and an A/R
department. The people entering in purchase orders are a third department.
All the departments report to one set of managers. You do not want the A/P
department to access A/R files and vice versa. You want the order
department to access A/P files and you want the management staff to access
everything.

In a scenario like this, Samba is a poor choice. Multiply more layers of
management and it gets even worse.