Re: [SLUG] What is a good printer?

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 14:50:32 EST

On Saturday 03 November 2001 08:46, you wrote:
> Well, at this point it looks like the manufacturer list is down to
> HP
> Epson
> Lexmark
>
> I figure that I can get all kinds of stuff for HP, but I am not sure
> which of them work with LINUX (I prefer out of the box since I
> am rather short on time and having to deal with computer stuff
> at work, would like to not do so at home right now)
>
> This is a consideration, and indeed the HP and Epson 3rd party
> stuff is out there in reasonable amounts for these units, so lets
> say right now I take aim at them, is the Epson 600 still in production?
> If not what is a newer unit that will work with LINUX.
> HP, What is the most LINUX reliable one in this group?
>
> I would like to get one today.

Chuck, get your hardware list from the driver listing in CUPS :-). I don't
know if the 600 is still in production but the next one in the line is the
640.

The principle difference in the 400-800 (?) series is speed and max
resolution. I just bought an aftermarket (NCR) cartridge marked for the
500 ... but the reference cartridge # is the same as for my 600.

If there is a driver in CUPS for it, it works under Linux. (Assuming you
have CUPS installed. If you don't, the printer will still work in Linux
... but just how to do it can be a dark art!)

Bill

--
icq #126373831 http://www.anhonestdesire.com
I am bummed ... I had my sig file set up as a series of crontab jobs