Re: [SLUG] What is a good printer?

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 08:46:51 EST

Well, at this point it looks like the manufacturer list is down to
HP
Epson
Lexmark

I figure that I can get all kinds of stuff for HP, but I am not sure
which of them work with LINUX (I prefer out of the box since I
am rather short on time and having to deal with computer stuff
at work, would like to not do so at home right now)

Epson, I have had Epson printers off and on for years, they always
were work horses, and always died doing battle (lightning, lizard in
the works, some other non-recoverable disaster- not the designs
fault)

Lexmark. I have never worked with one before, the ones that I have
seen on the shelves at low prices all appear to make a statement on
the box that they are "Windows only" machines, and that does not
make me feel too good about purchasing them.

Consumables
This is a consideration, and indeed the HP and Epson 3rd party
stuff is out there in reasonable amounts for these units, so lets
say right now I take aim at them, is the Epson 600 still in production?
If not what is a newer unit that will work with LINUX.
HP, What is the most LINUX reliable one in this group?

I would like to get one today.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT