Re: [SLUG] What is a good printer?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 23:05:42 EST

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 06:54:38PM -0500, Bill wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2001 03:17, you wrote:
>
> > > All other things being equal, get the one that weighs the most. It's
> > > the one with the most metal in it and was likely designed with an eye
> > > toward longevity. That being said, all other things are seldom equal.
> > > :-)
> >
> > Wow. Select a printer by _weight_. Now I've heard everything.
> > (I _had_ to tease you about this one, Bill.) ;-}
> >
> > Paul
>
> Well ... it IS the final criteria. :-) And your tease was taken in stride
> but ....
>
> ... if two competing electronic devices are equal in function, etc. go
> with the heavy one unless weight is a big no-no for the application.

<snip>

I know what you mean. Cars used to be built like tanks, and a crash was
far less likely to result in injury. WRT printers, perhaps the worst
part of this is plastic gears-- much cheaper and faster to make, but far
more prone to stripping, etc. I've even seen computers with mostly
plastic cases where they backed the plastic with thin metal film to get
a Class A (office use, not Class B home use) FCC rating.

Paul