Re: [SLUG] I am impressed!!

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 19:54:19 EST

Justin Keyes wrote:

It always boggles my brain to see hardware-performance differences
under Linux vs. Windows...

I suspect that you are being sarcastic? You think that some of us are
so zealous in our support of Linux that we lose the ability to count
clock-cycles? Don't assume that your printer performance is dictated by
the printer hardware (ok, assume that for Laser Printers, I have never
seen one of those that didn't download and RIP and entire page before
kicking in the print mechanism). When you get down to hardware
interfacing, it seems that interrupt latencies under Linux are much
faster than under Windows. This can have a profound impact on hardware
responsiveness.

In fact, some enthusiasts wrote a high quality 3D RemoteControlled
Airplane simulator. Under Linux, you could actually connect a real R/C
controller to the PC (parallel port?), but under Windows, the interrupt
latency was so bad that you had to use keyboard/mouse. I am sure that
you can find the package on www.freshmeat.net, along with their
explanations.
--ronan