[SLUG] Re: upgrade to Woody's SILO doesn't work

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 00:48:24 EST

[to SLUG: see thread subject "Need public Linux tftp and/or bootp
server" 2001/11/04 19:32EST] by mario@alienscience.com

My final reply and resolution is at the bottom... -ML

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

>Mario Lombardo <mario@alienscience.com> writes:
>
>>I upgraded from Potato's SILO to Woody's SILO in a mass upgrade from
>>Potato to Woody. SILO comes up ok, but it doesn't boot any kernel.
>>Also, I try to point it to the right name and still it's no go. Any
>>ideas how this happened, and what I can do to fix it?
>>

>File a bug with the appropriate severity on the 'silo' package. We're
>not involved in that package's maintenance.
>
>>For now, I've found an old disk with Debian Potato that has allowed me
>>to boot the system and have a look at the disk. I have no floppy
>>drive for this thing!
>>

>Huh. Seems to work for me, but you should also indicate which version
>you are using.

Ok I'll file a bug.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "indicate which version", so
I'm supplying some information just for the record:

Upgraded from SILO 0.9.8 to SILO 1.2.3
Sun SPARCstation 5 256MB RAM 18.2GB disk
was running Debian Potato 2.2r2 now running the latest (oops!) testing
version (I guess it's Woody?)

I'm running now, but this is what I did to get it going:

1. Installed old Potato 2.2r2 hard disk in SCSI bus under target zero
2. Did a STOP-A, set the automatic boot under printenv (setenv) to false
3. 'reset' the machine
4. at the PROM prompt I typed 'boot disk0'
5. When I logged into Linux under root, I mounted the non-bootable disk
under /mnt/bigdisk
6. I ran 'silo -r /mnt/bigdisk' with some other forgotten options to
force a write of the boot block (see the SILO manual
http://silo.sourceforge.net/)
7. rebooted and all was ok

Thanks!

Mario