Re: [SLUG] dumb@$$

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 00:29:14 EST

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:41:46PM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:

> <sigh> yes. ugh. I sent him an email telling him that we're not spamming him
> and for him to uns_ubsc_ribe himself, since he would have had to su_bsc_ribe
> himself in the first place to be receiving mail from us...maybe he got the
> message?
>
> Russell
> On Thursday 08 November 2001 21:21, you wrote:
> > is anyone else getting a lot of mail from some michael goetz?

He must have thought that rewriting subject lines and bouncing mail back
to the list was the most effective way to stop mail from us. He was more
creative than most. Mostly, they send uns*bscr*ption requests directly
to the list, which bounce to Tom and I.

Fortunately or unfortunately, many people who fill out a New Member
Survey simply check the boxes on the form to be s*bscr*bed. So they
never have to go through the actual process of manually s*bscr*bing. If
we didn't do this for many people, we'd have 12 subscribers on the list,
because they wouldn't be able to figure out how to do it on their own.
But they do get a welcome email from majordomo when they sign up, that
tells them how to unsubscribe.

Unfortunately, many people haven't the gumption to RTFM. His address
has been unsubscribed.

Paul