Re: [SLUG] Netscape problem

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 00:10:32 EST

On Sunday 11 November 2001 22:24, you wrote:
> haha.... good show, jolly fellow.
>
> Try opera.... it's commercial, but it is a heaven-sent browser.
> www.opera.com
>
> --Justin

Actually, Justin, I do use Opera for most of my heavy lifting. Galeon
is quite nice, too. For kicks ... give Nautilus a look-see. You might
be pleasantly surprised at what a file manager can pull out of its
hat. I know I was (and still am). I am really liking it. But the
script for CUPS was calling up Netscape and that was giving me
heartburn. :-\

A lot of my system is still a mystery to me and I haven't enough
hours in the day to track down every script and config file used to
run this beastie. I am the only user on this machine. I have certain
liberties available to me that "real" sysads might not. For instance,
I can wipe the whole darned thing clean and start all over whenever
the mood strikes. At first, that was my response to intractable
problems. I try to avoid that now as I am trying to get my mind into
a "sysad mold". But killing my user files wasn't going to cost me
anything more than a very few links that I couldn't get to anyways
and a cache that I didn't need to cache.

I use this machine for school work and amateur web pages and learning
about Linux. I have 7 browsers. One more or one less wasn't going to
hurt me :-)

Bill

Mem:   1545352    1053952     491400          0     337192     425592
Swap:   401584          0     401584
Total: 1946936    1053952     892984
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.14 #3 Fri Nov 9 23:14:31 EST 2001 K7 750MHz
 11:35pmup 23:48,  2 users,  load average: 2.18, 2.12, 2.01