[SLUG] StarOffice strangeness/screen freeze during install

From: \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 17:11:18 EST

SO locks up my whole computer. This is not unknown behavior. See this
readme...

--------------------

If you experience difficulties when using an Xfree S3Virge driver
noticeable by the "freezing" of the X server, set the environment
variable SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50 to »true« by using the following syntax:

For users of a Bourne Shell (e.g. bash):

    export SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50=true

For users of a C Shell:

    setenv SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50 true

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

If the above named environment variable is used, different window
elements may be shown in an inverted way. As the "freezing" of the X
server can also happen with every other program when using an Xfree
S3Virge driver, we recommend, therefore, that the appropriate SVGA
driver be used at all times. This means that the setting of the
environment variable is no longer a must.

-----------------

But where should this line go? I did this once before but forgot. A
"clue" in the sun support base here...

http://supportforum.sun.com/cgi-bin/WebX.cgi?13@95.9qEhalPKfiQ^0@.ee918ef

...leads me to believe etc/profile is the place. So I added the line
(the one enclosed in stars) and nothing happened.

--------------------
# /etc/profile
# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel@mandrakesoft.com>

# Users generally won't see annoyng core files
[ "$UID" = "0" ] && ulimit -c 1000000

# System wide environment and startup programs
# Functions and aliases go in /etc/bashrc
PROFILE_LOADED=1

##### Handle by Mandrake Security
#PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

##### Handle by Mandrake Security
#if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
#
umask 002
#else
#
umask 022
#fi

USER=`id -un`
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"

*****export SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50=true*****

HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
HISTSIZE=1000

if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
     export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
fi

export PATH PS1 USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE

# some old programs still use it (eg: "man"), and it is also
# required for level1 compliance for LI18NUX2000
export NLSPATH=/usr/share/locale/%l/%N

if [ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe.sh ];then
                export LESSOPEN="|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s"
fi

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
        if [ -x $i ]; then
                . $i
        fi
done

unset i
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/java-1.3/jre/
export JAVA_HOME
# Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
SECURE_LEVEL=2
# Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
umask 022
# Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games
# Mandrake-Security : if you remove this comment, remove the next line too.
export PATH SECURE_LEVEL

Nothing changed. Is this the right file? Did I add the right line in the
right place?

Thoughts? Suggestions?