Re: [SLUG] virus protection for the Linux environment?

From: Jason Copenhaver (jcopenha@typedef.org)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 16:52:48 EST

They kept mentioning file-servers.. so it is possible that they are
scanning the file for windows viruses.. A lot of people use Linux as a
Samba server so it will have windows based files on it.. if that isn't
what they are doing then I'm not sure..There are very few viruses for
Linux.. most people would consider them worms..and they need root to do
anything nasty..

Jason

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Tina Gasperson wrote:

> I'm thinking this is mostly an attempt to market to
> companies using Linux servers, whose purchasing agents
> don't know any better--although I wondered about the
> "backdoor" protection, which isn't virus protection at
> all. Does anybody have any opinions on the usefulness
> of "ServerProtect?"
>
> Trend Micro Ships ServerProtect for Linux

<snip product info>