RE: [SLUG] Network connection down

From: Bob Foxworth (bfoxworth@fortresstech.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 17:52:45 EST

This is a very good application for a packet sniffer to see if the bootp is
going out and if so, being answered, and what are the parameter fields.
You'd need a hub between the laptop and the ethernet jack on the CM,
to provide another connection for the analyzer. That IMHO is the only
really sure way to see what is going on. And as wel, if the hub has no
Uplink jack, then you need a crossover cable from the hub port to the
CM port (DCE to DCE etc.) If it does, connect the uplink to the CM
through a straight cable.

If you do this avoid using a windows-based sniffer unless there is a way
to make it stop broadcasting netbios registration requests.

I have a Motorola CM and it likes to see one MAC address on the client
side i.e. your machine. If you swap machines e.g. one for windows and
a different machine for linux, you'd want to hard-power reset the CM as
it stores the MAC of your client and replies to the bootp with that value.
I think their leases are running for 12 hours.

If you can run NAT and have a private address space then you can
just let the CM see the MAC of the NAT box all the time, and swap
machines on your private net at will. Have a dedicated machine for that
with 2 ethernet interfaces..

If you see an IP of 169.254.x.y on a Windows box this means that the
dhcp request failed at bootup and the machine was internally assigned an IP
of this format which is the "link-local" service. I am not sure but I
believe this is a non-routable address class.

Bob F