Re: [SLUG] Orphaned Machines

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 18:47:01 EST

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:07:27PM -0500, Derek Glidden wrote:

<snip>

> Paul,
> What about bringing them, and any available parts, to the next SLUG
> meeting(s) where members can help build them out and install them, and
> then look around for schools, child care facilities, preschools,
> whatever, who might be in the need for a simple firewall type setup for
> dialup or cable modem services so their school can have internet feed?
>
> My wife works at a very small private school where they all try to dial
> out using AOL for internet access in the classrooms and it really
> sucks. I've tried to convince them to get roadrunner and I can drop
> something like the above in for them where they can all share the same
> network, but the money's just too tight. Other small private school
> type things may be able to go for it if they had a way to share the
> network connection so they didn't feel like they had to buy service for
> each PC.
>
> Just an idea.

Absolutely. A Linux router/gateway is a great use for a 486 class box,
and obviates the need for AOL (gawd!). Anyone who wants a machine for
that purpose, great. I'll bring what I have. Someone might want to bring
assorted parts as well (like SIMMs, modems, etc.). Like, the machines I
have have no power cables.

Paul