[SLUG] Raising $$$ for SLUG

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 11:27:11 EST

I was just thinking about the /swap event this Wednesday and what it
could mean to SLUG to have a hardware auction/raffle instead. Take a
look at the audience; geeks that love cycles. What better market to
sell your stuff? I thought it would be cool if people put their gear up
for auction/raffle and SLUG got half of the revenues (maybe more).
 Perhaps with the unwanted hardware going back home this Wednesday, we
can pool it and build systems for auction, raffle, or donation? Can
somebody post the tax aspects of all this? Maybe we could change the
percentage so the buyer and seller would both have a write-off?

Whenever there's more revenue for an organization it can do more of what
it's meant to do. We can't spread the "good word" about Linux and
opensource if we are poor. Let's discuss this at the meeting.

Mario