Re: [SLUG] Interpret a "diff"

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 01:33:08 EST

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 06:00 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bob Stia wrote:
> > I followed Brian Coyle's advice on passing an arguement to load
> > my scsi hostadapter in modules.conf When I booted up the next
> > time I got all kinds of messages about invalid lines in
> > modules.conf about my sound stuff and none of my sound worked. I
> > went back in and changed it back by taking out the lines I had
> > put in. Rebooted and had the same problem. ????? So did a
> > diff on that modules.conf and a copy of the original modules.conf
> > This is just one of the lines from the diff. I don't see
> > any difference except numbers added to the end of the lines which
> > aren't in the file. Here it is:
> >
> > < # options isp16 isp16_cdrom_base=0x340
> > isp16_cdrom_irq=0 isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
> > ---
> >
> > > # options isp16 isp16_cdrom_base=0x340
> > > isp16_cdrom_irq=0 isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
> >
> > 321c325,326
>
> The one thing you may not realize is that there may be whitespace
> differences that you won't "see" in the output. Tabs-to-spaces or
> differences in the amount of trailing space can all produces "false
> positives".
>
> Try running the diff with the -b option and see if those
> "differences" disappear. Also, try running with the -u option to
> get a unified diff output. It's generally easier to read.

Paul,

Tried the -b option and the output was the same. The differences
being the numbers attached to the end of of the statement being
diffed, AND a break in the statement which makes it start on the next
line preceded with the ">" sign. Would that be the tab ??

Also tried the -u option but that seemed more confusing to me because
it had a lot of stuff printed that wasn't an actual diff. This way
though, seemed to denote the files by the "+" and "-" signs. The
lines were broken in the exact same way though, AND there were no
numbers at the end of the line. What do the numbers mean??

Here are two diffs with the -b option.

< # post-install snd amixer set Master 100% unmute;amixer set
PCM 100% unmute; amixer set Aux,1 100% unmute

---
> # post-install snd amixer set Master 100% unmute;amixer set
PCM 100% unmute;
> amixer set Aux,1 100% unmute
282c285,286
< # options isp16          isp16_cdrom_base=0x340 isp16_cdrom_
irq=0 isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
---
> # options isp16          isp16_cdrom_base=0x340 isp16_cdrom_
irq=0
> isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
321c325,326
< # post-install bttv /sbin/modprobe "-k" tuner; #
       /sbin/modprobe "-k" msp3400
---
> # post-install bttv /sbin/modprobe "-k" tuner; #

> /sbin/modprobe "-k" msp3400 522a528,530

Would those tabs-to-spaces or trailing white space make the modules.conf file fail in use? The file was edited in a text editor. Could that have created tabs or white space which would cause this to happen? Thanks for trying to help me understand this.

Bob S.