Re: [SLUG] Interpret a "diff"

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 18:00:29 EST

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bob Stia wrote:

> I followed Brian Coyle's advice on passing an arguement to load my
> scsi hostadapter in modules.conf When I booted up the next time I
> got all kinds of messages about invalid lines in modules.conf about
> my sound stuff and none of my sound worked. I went back in and
> changed it back by taking out the lines I had put in. Rebooted and
> had the same problem. ????? So did a diff on that modules.conf
> and a copy of the original modules.conf This is just one of the
> lines from the diff. I don't see any difference except numbers added
> to the end of the lines which aren't in the file. Here it is:
>
> < # options isp16 isp16_cdrom_base=0x340 isp16_cdrom_irq=0
> isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
> ---
> > # options isp16 isp16_cdrom_base=0x340 isp16_cdrom_irq=0
> > isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
> 321c325,326

The one thing you may not realize is that there may be whitespace
differences that you won't "see" in the output. Tabs-to-spaces or
differences in the amount of trailing space can all produces "false
positives".

Try running the diff with the -b option and see if those "differences"
disappear. Also, try running with the -u option to get a unified diff
output. It's generally easier to read.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com