[SLUG] Interpret a "diff"

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 01:09:05 EST

Hey Sluggers

This is really an offshoot of my 4th of a dozen questions.

I followed Brian Coyle's advice on passing an arguement to load my
scsi hostadapter in modules.conf When I booted up the next time I
got all kinds of messages about invalid lines in modules.conf about
my sound stuff and none of my sound worked. I went back in and
changed it back by taking out the lines I had put in. Rebooted and
had the same problem. ????? So did a diff on that modules.conf
and a copy of the original modules.conf This is just one of the
lines from the diff. I don't see any difference except numbers added
to the end of the lines which aren't in the file. Here it is:

< # options isp16 isp16_cdrom_base=0x340 isp16_cdrom_irq=0
isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo

---
> # options isp16          isp16_cdrom_base=0x340 isp16_cdrom_irq=0
> isp16_cdrom_dma=0 isp16_cdrom_type=Sanyo
321c325,326

What is even more baffling is that the only diffs that showed were on lines that are commented out.

Anyway, can one of the sluggers give me a lesson on interpreting this diff? After that I can try to figure out why it wouldn't work after I restored it to the way it was.

Bob S.