Re: [SLUG] SuSE 7.3 retail

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 00:31:19 EST

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:40:36PM -0500, Doumbeck1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/12/01 7:42:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> paulf@quillandmouse.com writes:
>
> << Y'know, a presentation or write-up on this would be really great. I'm
> definitely interested. Have you ever used Linux From Scratch?
> >>

> Well http:www.linuxfromscratch.org is where I learned to do it. But I don't
> quite do it that way for my self anymore. Its funny you mention LFS though
> because I am one of the contributing member of that project. Although because
> of my connection being broken, I haven't been there much in the last two
> weeks. It amazing how your connection defines much of what you do.
>
> The LFS book is probably enough of a "write up" it has a small maybe not so
> well written explanation/introduction as to why one might choose to do this.
>
> Perhaps a short plug/article on why one might want to investigate LFS and LFS
> like methods of system building. Sure I can do that.
>
> Scot Mc Pherson

Couple of things. Obviously, there's a helluva lot more involved in
building a "comfortable" system than what's in LFS. As I recall, it was
really a minimal (though functional) system. But if you're going to have
KDE, Mozilla/Konqueror, plus all the other stuff that might come on a
"fat" distro, you're talking about a lot of work, particularly if you
compile from source. This is the biggest advantage of RPM and such--
dependency handling, etc. Plus, it seems like every idiot who builds a
package wants to put his files in the wrong (FHS) places. Three out of
eight packaged I download I have to tweak the makefiles to put things in
the right places. Any thoughts on that stuff?

Also, you mentioned your systems as being "tighter" than most. What do
you mean by that?

Paul