Re: [SLUG] Suggestions??

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 00:17:39 EST

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:27:48PM -0500, Doumbeck1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/12/01 7:36:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> paulf@quillandmouse.com writes:
>
> << I use Quicken 8 for DOS under DOSEmu. If someone would come out with a
> console-based checkbook app, I'd be there in a second. >>
>
> There is..its called comma delimited text =)
>
> Actually that might not be a bad idea though .... console is very sleak still
> ... Perhaps you'd like to manage an open source project? I might do it.
>
> Scot Mc Pherson

Oooo, I manage and you do the work! I like it! ;-}

I had an idea about this. I'm using nosql on a couple of things. Nosql
files are basically tab-delimited text files in the form:

first last address city state zip
----- ---- ------- ---- ----- ---
Frodo Baggins 123 Any St. Clearwater FL 33765

Lots of fast tools written in awk, perl and bash for manipulating the
files. Lots of pipes and such. It's based on the older /rdb.

I'm not sure about doing a command line interface. CBB has some old
stuff that someone wrote long ago to do command line transactions. It's
pretty painful to operate, particularly when you're used to being able
to scroll up and down your register, etc. A curses interface would be
better, but more complex.

Anyway, it's on my endless list of things to do. If you want to tackle
it, we can maybe collaborate and mutually contribute. Personally, I
think something console-based and without all the dependency headaches
of Gnucash would be a hit.

Paul