Re: [SLUG] Ignoring stale lockfile (pid 2075)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 23:37:19 EST

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 07:08:20PM -0500, A2L1 wrote:

> I have a problem and dont have a clue-------when trying to run licq I get the
> following-- stale lockfile (pid 2075)---and it wont start-up. I have
> uninstalled and then re-installed licq (twice) but still wont fire up and it
> was runnin just fine a few days back.
> The program did hang on me at that time so I killed it with gtop---I have
> done this in the past to other progs that hang (or that Ive butchered ) and
> have had no problems in firing them up at a later time---not so with licq. I
> dont know where to look for a "lockfile" and worse yet havent a clue of what
> to do when I find it(if I find it) I am open to suggestions (translates to
> pleading for help )

Try looking in /var/lock/subsys for a file with the name of your ICQ
program, or /var/run for a file with that same name and a .pid
extension. I believe that will be your lockfile. Likewise, if you have a
.licq subdirectory off your home directory, you may file a lockfile in
there as well or instead. Usually, a lockfile will be a text file that
contains the process ID (pid) of the process that created the lockfile.
If you find such a file, kill it.

Also note that if you kill something like

kill -9 sendmail

this is like saying "terminate with extreme prejudice". It may cause the
program to not clean up after itself (as in lockfiles). That's why it's
recommended to try and kill programs more gently.

Paul