[SLUG] Re: Orphaned Machines & Tampa Fest Dec 1&2

From: Doc - KD4E (e.net@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 13:10:14 EST

The Tampa Bay Hamfest is a decent size one with good buyer
turnout. Someone was there last year selling laptops and
desktops loaded with Linux and as I recall did well.

There is a lot of interest in Linux in this area among Hams
and many are already using it. There had been an effort to
make a Linux CD with common utilities and Ham apps,
don't know if that project was ever completed.

I am hoping to acquire a CD with Linux 2.4.14 and Debian
Unstable so that when my experimentation makes a huge
mess I can just reload from it rather than go all the way back
to Progeny and the mess they make of Debian.

Am also going to be looking for a memory upgrade for my
IBM ThinkPad 360cse and a couple of Linux-friendly pcmcia
nics. (I don't expect to find the former but am hoping to get
lucky and locate one or two pcmcia nics at $20. each or less.)

Doc

> On Saturday 10 November 2001 13:44 L, you wrote:
> > At 05:02 PM 11/10/01 -0500, you wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but as the amature radio
> > community has
> > swap meets to buy-sell-trade equipment, perhaps we could as well.
Perhaps