[SLUG] Re: fast window managers

From: J L Brown (macapplejohn@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 19:50:06 EST

Has anyone besides me tried XFCE desktop and window manager?

I needed a fast desktop to speed up my old P-120 Dell Optiplex xm-5120 and found
XFCE. It makes my old slow machine run like blazes.

It contains a compatibility layer for both KDE and Gnome and a
command to run the Gnome panel along with its own panel. Install took about ten
seconds with one command where it becomes the default desktop. I can
still boot into KDE or Gnome. Its the work of one guy who had issues with
Gnome and KDE so he wrote his own desktop and window manager. I can't argue
with speed on the screen. Download is only 6 meg.
John