[SLUG] Mail System

From: VT (vt1@gte.net)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 00:56:38 EST

I've been reading all of the different threads having to do with mail and
I'm a little confused on all of the components. I'd like to also be able
to pull email from different external mail servers to a local central
server then with IMAP read the email from either Win98 or Linux clients.

So I need:

1) A MTA to transfer the mail from the external servers (multiple email
addresses) to the internal server.
2) An IMAP server to server the email to the clients
3) An IMAP client
4) Some daemon to transfer the email from the appropriate address back to
the appropriate SMTP server. <-- This part I'm especially wondering about.

As an example, I'd like to download my mail from Yahoo using POP3 to
download to the central server and have that server sort it into sub
folders for that account. Then with an IMAP client connect to the IMAP
server and read the different folders with mail in them. I'd like to
respond to a piece of mail and intern have the server send it back to
Yahoo's SMTP server for final delivery.

First, is this the most practical way to handle this. Since I have
authenticated access to different SMTP servers for different accounts
shouldn't I route the email from those accounts back to their respective
SMTP servers?

Your help, comments would be appreciated.

VT